Acupuncture is a branch of Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) that works with the body’s Qi (pronounced chee) to promote improved physical and emotional health. Qi is a subtle energy that moves throughout the body and is a vital force whose balanced and unhindered flow is key to optimal health. Although no one has yet been able to ascertain the exact age of this modality it is verifiably several thousand years old and is accepted to have begun in China around 1000 B.C.
Acupuncturists adjust the flow of Qi energy in the body using a variety of methods, most common amongst them is the insertion of needles into acupuncture points although cupping, manual manipulation (acupressure), and gua sha (use of a tool to apply pressure and friction along the skin in order to help relieve pain and tension) are also frequently used to achieve the desired results.
Traditional acupuncture is the careful placement of sterile, very fine, single-use needles into specific points on the body. By strategic needling Dr. Smith can direct energy flow to target a condition and create the desired effect or healing response in the body. This is usually so comfortable that patients fall asleep during their session. The treatment doesn't stop when the needles are removed; we are creating an energetic shift in the body that continues long after the session ends.
Some common ailments that can benefit from Acupuncture are:
- Allergies and Asthma
- Anxiety, Depression, and Stress
- Digestive Issues
- Facial Rejuvenation
- Headaches and Migraine
- Herbs and Supplementation
- Infertility and Pregnancy Support
- Insomnia or Sleep Disturbance
- Musculo-Skeletal Injuries i.e. strains/sprains, whiplash, slips, and falls
- Pain Patterns- physical, mental, or emotional
- Recovery and Addiction Support
- Scar Tissue Reduction
- Skin conditions i.e. acne, psoriasis, rosacea, eczema, burns, dermatitis, hives, cysts
- Sports Injuries
- Women’s Health
Dr. Cynthia first began studying acupuncture while a student at Cleveland Chiropractic College in Kansas City, MO. She began providing acupuncture after completing her certification in 1997 in Colorado. Upon moving to California Dr. Cynthia attended Southern California University of Health Sciences and earned her Master's in Acupuncture.
In the early 2000's Dr. Cynthia became certified in facial rejuvenation acupuncture, an exciting treatment protocol which offers a natural way to look and feel younger!
This procedure can help you in the following areas:
- Eyes - Eliminates dark circles, eye bags, and smile lines
- Botox Alternative – Smooths furrows, softens laugh lines without paralyzing facial muscles
- Lips - Decreases smoker’s lines and adds fullness without fillers
- Cheeks - Lifts skin and restores contour
- Jowls and Neck - Lifts, tightens, and firms sagging skin
- Post-Surgical - Helps heal faster and with less scarring
- Acne - Treats scars or breakouts
- Skin - Minimizes fine lines, helps skin become firmer, and creates a more even complexion
- Great follow-up for other aesthetic procedures as it softens harsh lines and uneven tissue from fillers or Botox